An indigenous knife that hit the industry bold and made a mark is the Ulu knife. The indigenous tribe traditionally makes the Alaskan Ulu knife. Ulu means women’s knife, customarily used by Inuit, Inupiat, Yupik, and Alet tribal women. The blade was initially used for skinning animals and chopping vegetables and fruits.
So, if you are reading this article, you’re surely here to know more about Ulu knives. And we’ll help precisely with that. Ulu knives sport a curved edge and a gripping handle. The blade has a reputation for cutting cheese, pizzas, herbs, and fruits in the most effortless way.
The knife is known for its sharp edge and durability. The ease in handling and chopping precisely makes its way to the top chef’s tabletop. However, with all the options available in the market, you might get confused about which one to buy. Finding and buying the best Ulu knife may seem simple, but you should know about the design and mechanism that give you the most precise and quick cuts.
If you are looking for the best all-purpose knife, then look no more because you have landed at the right place. We will in this article go through the best Ulu knives in the market and how to decide which one you must buy.
Alaskan Ulu is the best knife of this year. It is the legendary knife of the arctic. The Alaskan legendary knife performs various tasks with ease. The inhabitants make this of Alaska.
The design is made with precision, so the blade gives fine cuts. In addition, the stainless, 6-inch knife has excellent corrosion resistance. If you are looking for more good knives, read on, as we have discussed in the buying guide in this article.
History Of Ulu Knives
The ulu knife is layered with the history that dates back to 2500BC. Thus, the ancestral roots of the knife are 3000 to 5000 years old. The designs were passed down generation by generation. The versatility, simplicity, and rounded look made it famous.
Indigenous tribes of Alaska made ulu knives, and they used to eat everything they could hunt. So, they made a knife whose force is centered on the middle to cut everything with increased force on complex objects.
Ulu knives have an ivory handle and stainless steel, which helps cut and skim animals, fruits, and vegetables. In addition, the rocking motion down the object helps in chopping off the meat more quickly than any other knife.
The ulu knife is made up of tempered carbon steel. It has a beveled edge which makes the knife a cutting machine. In addition, the knife is sharpened strong, whose blade will not get rusty or blunt for years.
Best Ulu Knives
1. Best Skinning Knife:
It is a legendary Ulu knife with an etched edge and has high efficacy in skiing meats. This legendary arctic knife is designed by the people of Alaska, inhabitants of the Arctic. It is worthy of keeping on the tabletop of great chefs. The design enhances the dexterity of the knife. It makes cuts straightforward.
- Easy to hold.
- Easy to sharpen.
- Walnut stand included.
- Prone to rusting needs regular oiling.
- Immediate washing to keep the edges rust-free.
2. Best Ulu Knife for Hunting:
- The 6.5-inch blade has a mirror polish finish.
- The 5cr15 stainless steel used for the knife gives the ulu knife an elegant and sleek look.
- The black pakkawood handle is efficient for a secure grip.
- The leather sheath has the mark of Gil Hibben that makes it stand out from the crowd.
Are you a Gil Hibben fanatic? Then, you must add this spectacular Ulu knife to your collection. This is the best Ulu knife for hunting. The knife has re-imagined the design of traditional ulu knives and enhanced its look and its productivity.
The design resembles more to modern knives with a twist of the Ulu knife’s edge. The long functional handle is designed for efficacy and ease. It gives you a better grip while you are hunting in dense forests. It comes with a sheath so you can use it outdoors. The hefty blade is extremely sharp to cut any object that comes in contact.
- Pakkawood long handle for better grip
- Strong and sturdy.
- Need to keep dry to prevent rusting.
3. Best Damascus Ulu Knife:
This knife is handmade by North Star knife and ulu Company. The knife has an intricate design that symbioses the art of Damascus, and the sharp edge is perfect for hunting in the jungles of Alaska.
It is not only suitable for hunting but also shines on the kitchen table. You can mince garlic, chop meat, and shred herbs. It has a wooden handle for efficient ergonomics, so you won’t feel fatigued after hours of chopping to cook a delicious meal. Aside from a sleek look, the steel has a sharp edge and a holder to keep the knife.
- Excellent craftsmanship.
- Heavy and sturdy
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Prone to corrosion
- The blade is too thick for fine chopping.
4. Best Alaska Ulu Knife:
- This is a mezzaluna knife that has a 6inch blade.
- The cutting board is made of walnut wood and has a unique dense curve to chop quickly with the curved edge of the knife.
- The texture of the chopping board is smooth and has contrasting shades.
- The knife comes in a gift box.
The best Alaskan Ulu knife comes with a distinctive set of chopping boards. The chopping board is 8-inches wide and has a stand to keep the knife.
The blade has an outstanding finish made of stainless steel. In addition, the knife ensures optimal grip so that you can chop off anything on the chopping board with ease.
- Edge retention
- It does not have a leather sheath, so you have to keep it in the upright position in the stand of the chopping board.
5. Best Traditional Ulu Knife:
- The steel blade has high edge retention and does not require to sharp too often.
- The ulu knife box shows the cultural history of ulu knives. In addition, it comes with a care and instruction booklet.
- The vibrant and exotic color of the handle and stand resembles the culture and tribe of Alaska.
- The aesthetically painted handle and stand are made of exotic wood.
Inupiat is the indigenous tribe that was the pioneer in making knives with steel. This knife is crafted similarly to the Inupiat tribe of Alaska used to hone steel and craft a knife. This knife is a sign of pure craftsmanship.
This ulu knife has a razor-sharp blade that comes from the sharpened steel and an easy-to-grip handle. The knife is trusted for various uses like chopping vegetables, cutting pizzas, and skinning meat.
- Traditional Ulu knife with the etched map on the blade.
- 6-inch blade.
- Stainless steel.
- Need oiling for durability.
6. Most Affordable Ulu Knife:
- The blade is easy-to-sharpened as it is made of carbon steel. The steel is tempered at 420HC grade stainless steel.
- The walnut handles to secure the brass rivets to balance the weight of the blade evenly.
- For better grip, the knife handle has an opening of about 5 ½ – 5 ¾ inches. Moreover, the handle has a mineral oil finish for a comfortable grip.
Lamson Industry is one of the oldest knife manufacturers in the U.S. The kitchen tools from Lamson have finesse and excellence in design. They blend performance and quality in one.
Well, this aesthetically crafted knife is no exception. It has a user-friendly handle that is easy to grip and work. It makes the knife handy, so you can quickly chop off vegetables and slice pizza and cheese. It fits perfectly in your hand. Moreover, this is the best Ulu knife for people with dexterity and can manage the fine cuts with one hand.
- The knife has hardened and tempered steel which means it is corrosion resistant.
- Sharpen the knife with any honing tool.
- It chops and dices easily.
- It does not come with a leather sheath or knife stand.
- Need to keep away from the humid or wet surface. The handle is prone to damage.
7. Best Ulu Knife For Money:
- The knife stays sharp and does not go blunt for years, even after rough use.
- The wooden handle of the ulu knife has an engraved Alaska Knife.
- The measurement of the knife is 7.99×7.91×1.5 inches.
If you are thinking of buying the best Ulu knives, then you must buy this one. It is the knife to better your culinary skills. It is the knife usually found on the tabletop of chefs. What makes a knife an excellent knife? The quality of chopping quickly and fabulously.
Between the walnut handle and the blade, there is enough gap to have a better grip.
Just like other Alaskan Ulu knife it comes with a wooden cutting bowl and has two-tone birch. Pace your ingredient in a birch bowl and rock the knife up and down to mince off the vegetable, meat, fruits, and herbs.
- Easy-to-grip handle.
- Chopping board with the knife.
- Stainless steel is resistant to corrosion.
- Edge retention capability.
- The chopping board is prone to damage.
- The handle should be handled with care.
How To Choose the Best Ulu Knife?
It is rightly said, two ulu knives are not similar. They differ in steel composition, handle length, has different size and design. It may seem all ulu knives are identical, but they all have a specific purpose and are made for serving different goals.
When buying an Ulu knife, you need the right vision among the diverse collection. You need to know you will assess the blade and the parameters for buying one. We’ll discuss the factors like size, material, and handle in a different section in this buying guide, in order to help you choose the best Ulu knife.
Before buying an ulu knife, you should address the purpose of the purchase. Ulu knives, irrespective of their size and design, are used for several activities. Gone are when the ulu knife was only used for skinning animals and cutting children’s hair.
They are widely used for cutting, chopping, slicing, mincing, and dicing things in today’s market. It is even used for self-defense in adverse situations. So, if you want a knife for any of these reasons, you must have an ulu knife.
In addition, the ulu knives have recently become popular in slicing pizza, so if you are a pizza fanatic and love to cook one at home, you must buy the ulu knife.
The size of the knife reflects on the usage. The ulu knife comes in various sizes; 2 inches, 6 inches, 8 inches, and 12. In older days, the 2 inches ulu knife was known for cutting sinew, an animal that connects muscle to bone. The small ulu knife was known as Kimagtuut, used to make designs and patterns on wild animals.
While in today’s time, a 6-inch knife is more popular. It gives precise, sharp cuts, and it is ideal for day-to-day kitchen activities. However, some 12 inches models are also standard for Ulu knives. As a buyer, you must know your requirement and buy the size that fits your requirement.
If you are researching Ulu knife online, you will probably come across Inupiat or Alaskan Knife. Here are some other popular types of Ulu knives which are termed in their native area.
- Alaskan or Inupiat Knife: The Alaskan knife is cut out from the blade. The ends of the blade are fitted into the handle.
- East Greenlandic: It has a rectangular blade and curved handle.
- West Greenlandic: The distinctive feature of the West Greenlandic knife is the small and thin handle that connects the blade with the stem.
- Canadian: This ulu knife has a curved blade attached to the handle with a thin stem. There are two versions of the Canadian Ulu knife. One is a triangular blade that belongs to the western part of the Canadian Arctic region. Another one is a pointed knife which belongs to the Eastern region.
Originally, ulu knives were constructed from flat rocks, jade, and slate. The materials which were used for handles were bone, ivory, and wood. But, with time, this changed, and in today’s time, ulu knives are manufactured using steel blades.
The Alaskan models are stainless steel, and the handles are made of wood, plastic, or Caribou Antler. The materials used are durable and sturdy, which makes the knife long-lasting and robust for rough use.
If you are buying an ulu knife, you must consider the framework of the handle. If the handle is not strong enough, it will chip off from the blade. Moreover, the design of the handle reflects how much pressure you can put while cutting.
An ideal handle should have a gap between the edge and handle so you can have a firm grip while chopping.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Do You Sharpen an Alaskan Ulu Knife?
What Is an Alaskan Ulu Knife Called?
How To Use an Alaskan Ulu Knife?
What Is an Ulu Knife Used For?
– Trimming blocks of snow for making an igloo.
– Cutting, mincing, and dicing
What Is the Ulu Knife Made Of?
The ulu knife is an excellent addition to your kitchen. It grants participation and independence to people who have limited functionality with their hands. The ulu knife is aesthetically pleasing and has a wide range of functionality. It is a traditional knife that has become commercial due to its efficacy and durability. No matter what your needs are, an ulu knife meets all of them.
Make sure to check our other reviews and buying guides: